Sunday, June 10, 2012

On the Rebound

I met a really hot guy, made out with him at the bar, and he asked me on a date.

Sounds perfect right?

Well I'm leaving some things out.....

I met a really hot guy on OK CUPID, made out with him at the bar where he tried to take me home with him, and then he asked me on a date, ended up cancelling on me and then late night texted me the same night.


Nope, not the ideal situation.  We are going to call this man Pierce (yes like Paul Pierce....great rebounder...you get it).  We had a great night out.  He met me at a bar downtown, we talked for awhile, got on the dance floor, and made out on a bench waiting for a taxi.  It was a pretty beautiful night.  There was so much chemistry when we made out, he was funny and polite when helping me find my way home in a new city.  He came on a little strong by asking me to come home with him but I guess a guy has to try right?  I said no and he continued to text me throughout the night, telling me how great it was to meet me and that he hoped to see me again.  He then asked me out on a date for the next weekend.  I was pretty excited.  Someone to frolic around the city with for the summer.

Then we became facebook friends and I got a little cray cray, but like always my stalking turned out to be pretty dead on and gave me some good info.  He had JUST gotten out of a relationship two weeks ago.  That's pretty fast to be on the online dating scene, but I couldn't judge him for it.  I did the same thing when me and bi-polar ex broke up in September.  I needed a distraction, some dates, and some people to get my mind off the breakup.  However, over the next couple of days, I noticed he became friends with his ex on FB again and she was writing on his wall, liking his pics, the whole nine yards.  Are they back together?? Not officially on Facebook but we all know talking to an ex fresh after a breakout is a one way road to being back together or at least hooking up.  Needless to say, I was a little skeptical about Pierce.  He's definitley on the rebound and even though I am just looking for a summer fling, I don't want to get caught up in someone's relationship drama.

With that being said, he cancelled our date last minute on Saturday and then proceeded to text me later that night asking me if I ended up going out.  Can you say booty call?  That wasn't happening, so I told him I was in a different part of the city and I wasn't going to beo ut his way.  He then told me how great I am and that he wants to see me this week.  Did he just text me because things went awry with his ex again?  Not sure if I'm jumping to conclusions but this guy seems flaky, back and forth, and just confused about what he wants.

When I was telling my friend about this situation she told me to steer clear because if he just got out of a relationship, it could get messy.   

Now, where I'm going with this blog is NOT defending Pierce.  He's a douche for a whole bunch of other reasons (the booty call, the date cancellation, trying to get in my pants, being flakey). 

BUT this whole situation brought me to thinking about what it means to be "on the rebound." 

 In a way, are we all on the rebound?  Am I hardcore judging this guy just because his breakup is more recent than my most current breakup?  We are all getting over someone.  Whether it's our last long term relationship or our last hookup.  Sometimes I still think about N, and we only "dated" for 3 months.  Am I too quick to jump to conclusions and write someone off because of the time proximity of their last relationship?\We are all getting over our last relationship and in my head, I think if I found the right person I wouldn't be "on the rebound" anymore, I'd be over any other relationship I ever had because I actually liked the new guy I was seeing and saw a future with them.

In some way,  are we all on the rebound until we find that person we want to settle down with?

C

1 comment:

  1. I just broke up with someone clearly on the rebound. I mean his penis still had loyalties to his ex and so broke on many occasion. I tried to ignore the facts but in the end it was blindingly obvious. It wasn't me he wanted i was just a stand in until she came back to him.

    ReplyDelete